Any office has two kinds of people, a group that works hard but is never noticed and the other who immediately spring to mind. The second kind are those who are noticed and at the top of all activities. Career success means more than working hard, being qualified, meeting crazy deadlines, and being diligent. To be truly successful you need recognition from the boss.
For you to be remembered and noticed by the boss you will need to:
- Be friendly and pleasant. Have a nice thing to say to everyone, ooze good manners, and have a ready smile and caring attitudeHave a nice thing to say to everyone, ooze good manners, and have a ready smile and caring attitude. Do not be impulsive and rude to others or be judgmental.
- Refrain from gossip. It is the one thing that can make life uncomfortable. Know what’s happening in the office but stay away from discussing it or spreading things however tempting it may be.
- Always update your skills and knowledge. The world today moves at a rapid pace and you need to keep up with technical innovations and global business trends. Make every effort to be ahead of developments in your field of work.
- Be efficient in your work and have facts and figures on the fingertips. Always prepare for meetings well and be a visionary and make suggestions that can be backed up by action. When you speak it must be “pearls of wisdom.”
- Practice the art of listening. Analyze what others know and can tell you. Absorb knowledge like a sponge. Never restrict yourself to only your department. It pays to know other functions of the organization.
- Be a leader in all aspects. Be the first to take additional responsibilities, assume the load of someone else when they have problems, lend a hand when a team is working to achieve a deadline. Make valuable suggestions. Let people know they count on you for just about anything.
- Respect and obey the rules of the office. Be disciplined and spread the culture to all others.
- Always be in control, never seem stressed. Keep personal life and work separate - never form a relationship with a colleague or boss. Dress well everyday and stand tall.
- Be methodical and organized in your work. Use filing methods that anyone can use - if you are not around, anyone in your department should be able to locate the papers. Keep your workspace clean, computer files uncluttered. Device a workable backup schedule such that under no circumstance is your work lost. Disaster management measures must be in place.
- Be balanced, elegant and easily accessible. Be poised, stylish, and approachable. Look good and smell good — excellent personal habits are always appreciated. Carry breath mints in your pocket along with a fresh handkerchief. Keep a laundered shirt on hand for emergencies.
It takes more than talent to impress a boss. Be ahead in the race for success.